When you’re trying to find the best pressure cooker for canning, you’re not only looking for a pressure canner to preserve sauces, fruits, vegetables, etc., but you’re also looking for a pressure canner that can help you get your meals ready 70% faster than usual.
Whether you want to cook your meat faster or quickly prepare barbeque sauce for dinner, a pressure canner can come in handy anytime.
In this guide, we’ll talk about pressure canners in detail and list down 5 top-rated pressure cookers for canning. We’ve spent days on research and have finally compiled this guide for you. Read on to know more.
What are the benefits of a pressure canner?
Here are 3 reasons why pressure canners are gaining popularity:
Pressure canners save energy
By using a pressure canner, you spend way less time than you normally spend while cooking your favorite meals. So, you end up saving energy as well as your money.
Pressure canners save time
A pressure canner allows you to spend more time enjoying your food instead of standing in the kitchen and facing the stove’s heat, especially when you’re cooking your favorite meat.
Pressure canners demand minimal maintenance
Traditional cooking often requires more oil. Consequently, more mess in the kitchen. On the other hand, a pressure canner comes with a well-fitted lid that prevents splish-splashes on the kitchen walls and the kitchen counter.
What are the things that should be considered while buying a pressure cooker for canning?
Here’s a list of things that you must consider while buying a pressure canner. Don’t miss out on any of these if you want to buy the best pressure cooker for canning.
Most of the pressure canners on the market are either made of stainless steel or aluminum. Both types of pressure cookers for canning come with their own advantages and disadvantages. One of the main reasons why aluminum is more widely used is pressure canners it that it is cheaper than stainless steel. Additionally, aluminum is lighter than stainless steel which makes it more ideal for use in pressure canners.
However, stainless steel pressure canners are more durable. Your choice will completely depend on your requirement. If you’re looking for a pressure canner that’s more durable, a stainless-steel pressure canner would be an ideal choice.
The second critical factor that you must consider is the capacity of the pressure cooker for canning. If you are looking for a pressure canner for regular use, we recommend purchasing a pressure canner with a capacity between 16-quart to 23-quart. Pressure canners with larger capacities are also available on the market.
However, they’re heavier, difficult to handle, and demand more maintenance. Pressure canners with capacity less than 14-quart are typically used for cooking only, not canning.
The last and the most important thing you need to consider is your budget. Make sure you compare the prices of at least 4 to 5 pressure canners to choose the one that’s budget-friendly. Keep in mind that the cheaper option is not always the best option.
Whether you’re planning to buy a pressure canner for steaming food or canning, there are certain safety measures that you need to check. Some pressure canners do not allow you to lower the temperature during the steaming, cooking, or canning pressure. In such cases, excess pressure can build-up and result in an explosion.
To avoid such accidents, buy a pressure cooker/canner that comes with a main pressure release valve as well as supporting valves. Also, look for pressure canners that come with a sure-locking lid mechanism to make sure the lid is properly fitted.
Best pressure cooker for canning – Our top 5 picks
Before we move on to the detailed product reviews, let’s look at the quick table containing the specifications of each product.
|All American Pressure Cooker/Canner||Hand-cast aluminum||21.5-Quart|
|Presto Pressure Cooker/Canner||Heavy-gauge aluminum||23-Quart|
|Mirro Pressure Cooker/Canner||Polished aluminum||22-Quart|
|T-fal Pressure Cooker/Canner||Polished aluminum||22-Quart|
|Granite Ware Pressure Cooker/Canner||Anodized aluminum||20-Quart|
Our experts performed extensive research to get you the best pressure canner names from the market. The choices are also based on the reviews and ratings of existing customers. By the end of this guide, you’ll be able to make a clear choice.
All American Pressure Cooker / Canner
- PRESSURE COOKER + CANNER - All American Pressure Cookers/Canners offer an easy solution for home canning. The USDA recommends pressure canning as the only safe way to can meat, vegetables & fruits. Holds approximately 19 pint jars or 7 quart jars.
- METAL-TO-METAL SEAL - Only All American Pressure Cookers/Canners feature an exclusive, precision machined, metal-to-metal sealing system. Positive action clamping locks form a steam-tight seal without any costly-to-replace gaskets.
- EASY TO USE - Since our seal doesn’t use a gasket, the cover can be easily opened & closed. Each model also features an easy-to-read steam gauge, an easy-to-clean satin finish, and a precision machined regulator weight for accurate pressure control.
- DURABLE - From the sturdy phenolic top handle to the double-thickness edges that provide additional protection on points of heaviest wear, this pressure cooker/canner is built to last.
- FROM OUR FAMILY, TO YOURS - Established in 1909, All American is a family-owned company focused on quality manufacturing above all else. We take pride in casting high-quality products that families can cherish for generations to come.
|Dimensions||16 x 15 x 17 inches (40.64 x 38.1 x 43.18 cm)|
|Weight||20 lbs. (9071.8 g)|
When it comes to canning fruits, sauces, and vegetables, the All American Pressure Cooker/Canner is the best pressure canner on the market. It’s popular for its large capacity and durable body material.
The pressure cooker can hold containers with a capacity between 19 pints to 7 quarts and is one of the safest pressure canners for canning at home. It comes with an easily understandable pressure gauge, and a tri-setting pressure regulating valve with 5 PSI, 10 PSI, and 15 PSI settings that are perfect for your cooking and canning needs.
Whether you’re a canning pro or a beginner, the All American Pressure Canner can be a great buy. The product packaging includes an instruction manual to take you through the process of using the product for canning and cooking. The pressure canner also comes with two automatic vents to release excess pressure.
The All American Pressure Canner is ideal for canning fruits, vegetables, meats, and stews. Also, the product is available in six different sizes – 10-quart, 15-quart, 21-quart, 25-quart, 30-quart, and 41-quart.
- Sturdy and durable aluminum body
- Does not need a gasket
- Comes with different pressure settings
- Automatic vents
- Heavy and cumbersome
Presto Pressure Cooker/CannerProduct specifications
|Dimensions||15.4 x 15.1 x 14.8 inches (39.1 x 38.3 x 37.5 cm)|
|Weight||12 lbs. (5443.1 g)|
|Capacity||23-Quart (5.75 gallons)|
Presto is a brand known for the quality and consistency of its products, especially pressure canners. Presto 01781 Pressure Cooker/Canner is one of the most reasonably priced pressure canners on the market with a 23-Quart capacity. The product can be used as a pressure cooker as well as a pressure canner.
This pressure canner comes with a plethora of useful features such as a firmly-fitted lid with a locking mechanism, durable plastic handles that remain cool throughout the canning process, an easy to understand dial gauge, and a pressure regulator. Another notable feature is the steam gauge that provides you with the ability to manage the pressure basis your need.
The product packaging includes an interesting recipe book and user manual to help you get started quickly. You can also use the product for preserving food items such as jams, jellies, sauces, etc., and as a boiling water canner.
- Made of durable heavy-gauge aluminum material
- Ideal for fast cooking
- Can also be used as a food preserver and boiling water canner
- Comes with the largest capacity among the 5 pressure cookers/canners mentioned here
- Not suitable for those looking for a smaller capacity pressure cooker/canner
Mirro 92122A Pressure Cooker/Canner
- The pressure canner is constructed from rustproof heavy gauge aluminum; 16 pint size jars or 26 half pint size jars when double stacked or 7 quart size jars
- Maintains steady pressure with 3 cooking pressure options 5, 10, and 15 PSI
- Reusable overpressure plug, sure locking lid system, and side gasket pressure release
- Cooking rack and user guide with recipes included
|Dimensions||17 x 14 x 17 inches (43.1 x 35.5 x 43.1 cm)|
|Weight||20 lbs. (9071.8 g)|
The Mirro 92122A Pressure Cooker/Canner is another top-rated pressure cooker for canning. The product is made of sturdy polished aluminum material and comes with a durable, rust-proof body. It can accommodate 16-pint jars or 7-quart jars when double-stacked. The product comes with three cooking pressure settings – 5 PSI, 10 PSI, and 15 PSI.
Some of the notable features of the product are the sure-locking lid mechanism that prevents accidental opening and spilling, a side gasket for safe and slow pressure release, and a rubber gasket that fits in the inner side of the lid to avoid the build-up of extra pressure.
The product packaging includes an interesting recipe book and racks.
- Rust-proof and durable aluminum body
- Side gasket for safely releasing excess pressure
- Uniform heating
- Some existing customers have mentioned that the gasket used for releasing pressure is loosely fitte
T-Fal Pressure Cooker/Canner
- 22 quart polished aluminum stovetop canner and pressure cooker with a deluxe pressure gauge dial
- Selective pressure control with 3 cooking pressure options: 5, 10 or 15 PSI; overpressure steam release safety components
- Heavy gauge, rustproof aluminum construction; sure locking lid system; pressure monitoring device built into handle
- Includes 2 canning racks to hold 16 pint size jars or 26 half pint size jars when double stacked or 7 quart size jars
|Dimensions||19.3 x 15.3 x 16.2 inches (49 x 38.8 x 41.1 cm)|
|Weight||14.7 lbs. (6667.1 g)|
The T-Fal Pressure Cooker/Canner with a 22-Quart capacity is trending big time. The durable aluminum body is rust-proof and ensures uniform heating. The selective pressure management system maintains a stable pressure atmosphere and the vent tube on the lid allows the steam to release properly. Therefore, you can use the 5 PSI setting for delicate food items and vegetables, 10 PSI for cooking meat, and 15 PSI for canning.
If you notice that the steam is not getting released automatically, you can use the overpressure plug to release excess steam inside the pressure canner. The sure-locking lid mechanism ensures the lid is properly fitted to avoid spilling.
Using the simple pressure gauge dial, you can monitor the pressure settings and manage effectively manage the pressure. To provide ample space for canning and prevent food particles from sticking to the bottom of the canner, the manufacturer has provided two cooking racks.
- Rust-resistant aluminum body
- Pressure gauge dial to carefully monitor the pressure
- 5-point safety system to prevent accidents, excess pressure build-up, spilling, and more
- Two food racks to prevent food particles from sticking to the bottom of the pressure cooker and increasing the holding space
- Some of the parts of this pressure canner require regular replacement
Granite Ware Pressure Cooker/Canner
- USDA recommends pressure canning as the only method for canning meats, poultry and low-acid vegetables
- Granite Ware Pressure Canner features heavy gauge hard anodized aluminum for strength and will not rust or stain
- Adjustable 3- piece pressure regulator system calibrated at 5, 10 and 15 psi
|Dimensions||14.5 x 14.2 x 13.3 inches (36.8 x 36 x 33.7 cm)|
|Weight||11.25 lbs. (5102.9 g)|
If you’re looking for a simple and easy to use pressure cooker/canner, all you need is the Granite Ware Pressure Cooker/Canner. The capacity of the product is neither too large nor too small. The hard anodized aluminum body makes the product durable and rust-resistant. The handles are made of plastic, and the lid is made of stainless-steel.
The pressure cooker/canner also comes with a special steamer insert that fits into the steamer in a way that it keeps the food items away from the liquid in the pressure cooker. A rack with foldable handle is included in the product packaging to keep the canning jars off the bottom of the pressure canner. In one go, the pressure canner can hold up to 8 one-pint jars, 24 half-pint jars, and 7 one-quart jars.
A pop-up pressure indicator on the lid also keeps it in place. There’s a vent pipe, an extra safety valve in case the vent pipe chokes, and a third metallic safety valve to exhaust excess pressure build-up. Like all the other pressure cookers mentioned in the guide, Granite Ware also comes with three pressure settings – 5 PSI, 10 PSI, and 15 PSI to adjust the pressure according to your requirements and the altitude. Therefore, Granite Ware Pressure Cooker/Canner can be a great choice for canning fruits, vegetables, cooking meats, steaming seafood, etc.
- Available in two different sizes
- Reasonably priced
- Comes with a canning rack
- Uses a whistling alarm to notify that excess pressure is being released
- Ideal for all types of cooking and canning requirements
- Special steamer insert to strain the food items from the cooking liquid
- Kills the bacteria on low-acid food
- The design is not as attractive as the other pressure cookers/canners mentioned here
Finding the best pressure cooking for canning
Now that you’ve gone through the detailed product reviews of the 5 top-rated pressure canners on the market, do you think you’ll be able to make a clear choice? By the way, we forgot to mention above that pressure canners may seem to be a huge investment, but they’re long-term investments that’ll give you short-term gains.
Well, we’re not talking about stocks and shares here; we’re talking about short-term gains such as speedy and efficient cooking and canning. Based on customer reviews and ratings, we’ve concluded that Presto Pressure Cooker/Canner is the best cooker for canning on the market currently.
It has been voted by many existing users as the most reliable and versatile pressure canners on the market. The large 23-Quart capacity allows you to can fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, and a lot more. It can also be used as a food preserver and boiling water canner.
Lastly, we hope you agree with our choice. If you have different views, feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below. Also, if you have any other products in mind that you would like us to review, please write to us. Our experts are always ready to help you.