Are you a fan of eating banana peppers? If so, have you ever thought what’s the best way of preserving them? Well, in case you didn’t know, you can easily can your banana peppers to keep them fresh and ready to eat. That’s right, canning banana peppers is actually quite easy.
In this article, we’ll outline the steps you need to take to can banana peppers as well as some important tips to take note of. Read on to know more.
Before beginning with the recipe, let’s first look at the ingredients required
- 450 g banana peppers
- 2-3 cups of white vinegar
- 3 tsp pickling salt
- 2-2.5 cups of water
- 2-3 garlic cloves
The secret recipe to canning banana peppers
Follow these steps:
- To begin with and most importantly – thoroughly wash and dry the canning jars and lids.
- Wash the banana peppers.
- Cut the banana peppers into 1/4 to 1/8-inch slices.
- Next, in a medium saucepan, add water, white vinegar, and pickling salt. Then place the saucepan on medium heat.
- Peel the garlic cloves and create a rough paste by smashing them. Add the paste to the vinegar- water mix.
- Next, bring the mixture to boil.
- Now pick the remaining garlic cloves and slice them into halves.
- Add the sliced garlic cloves to the canning jars and add the banana pepper slices. Fill the canning jar with the banana peppers leaving a ¼ inch space at the top.
- Now ladle the boiling hot vinegar mix on the banana peppers in the canning jars.
- Next, using a bubble remover, stir the contents of the canning jar to remove any air bubbles.
- Place the canning jars in the water bath canner for about 10-12 minutes.
- Finally, remove the canning jars and allow them to cool for around 22-24 hours.
Important points to remember when canning banana peppers
- Make sure you wear kitchen gloves while slicing the banana peppers. In the absence of the gloves, you can end up burning your hands.
- Make sure the jars are completely sealed before and after placing them in the water bath.
- In case you forgot to seal the jars, make sure you use the banana pepper within 2 weeks by storing them in a refrigerator.
So in summary, what do you think? Isn’t canning banana peppers easy? All you need to do is collect all the ingredients and follow the step by step instructions. If you have any questions regarding the canning process, please let us know.