So, you’ve combined all your fresh farm produce to prepare a delicious barbecue sauce but don’t know how to preserve it and make it last throughout the year? Well, don’t worry; we’re here to help you. In this article, we’ll firstly introduce you to our bbq sauce recipe (just incase you are wondering how bbq sauce is made) and then you’ll learn how easy canning bbq sauce really is, with our mini guide on how to can bbq sauce. Keep reading to know more.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Peeled and chopped tomatoes – 18 to 20 cups
- Finely chopped onions – 2-3 cups
- Finely chopped garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Hot chili flakes – 1 tbsp
- Celery seeds – 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- White vinegar – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1/3 cup
- Salt – 2 tbsp
- Ground nutmeg or mace – 1 tbsp
- Dry mustard – 1 tbsp
- Ground ginger – 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
Making bbq sauce – Directions
Follow these directions carefully to prepare bbq sauce and can it for preservation:
- To begin with, in a large stainless-steel pan, add the tomatoes, hot chili flakes, garlic, onions, and celery seeds.
- Next, bring the mixture to boil and stir constantly.
- After 2-3 minutes, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and allow the mixture to boil for around 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Next, transfer the hot mixture to the sieve (in batches) and a glass bowl. Press the mixture in the sieve to extract the liquid and discard the remaining solids.
- Also add the extracted liquid and pulp to the stainless-steel pan again.
- Next, add lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, vinegar, mustard, mace, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Finally, boil this mixture on medium heat and stir occasionally. Boil the mixture for about 30 minutes until it turns into a fine sauce of similar consistency as commercial bbq sauce.
Canning bbq sauce – Directions
- To begin with, prepare the water bath canner and wash the canning jars thoroughly before use.
- Next place the canning jars in the hot water bath and ladle the freshly prepared bbq sauce into the canning jars. Make sure you leave a ½ inch headspace.
- Afterward, using an air bubble remover, get rid of any extra air bubbles.
- Next, allow the canning jars to boil in the water bath afterward for around 18-20 minutes.
- Next, remove jars from the water bath canner and allow the to cool.
- Lastly, make sure the jars are properly sealed.
In Conclusion, that’s it. Canning bbq sauce is very easy. All you need to do is carefully follow the directions mentioned above. Alternately, you can also use the pressure canning method (we’ll be discussing this method in a separate article). Otherwise let us know if you have any more questions; we’re here to help you!